Monday 23 September 2013

Make-up for Nursing Placements

So this is a slightly random one but a blog post that I would have been interested in reading when I first started in March. If you feel comfortable without make-up then good on you but I really couldn't go without just a little bit to make me look more human at 6am!

Anyway, I love a bit of make-up and thought it might be useful for those students who have just started their courses, prospective student nurses or even those who are yet to start. Actually it might be helpful for anyone who works on a sweaty ward! Anyone who has worked a 13 hours shift knows that they don't look great by the end of it - your foundation has rubbed off, mascara is down your face...you just generally look crap. However, I made a discovery that is student budget friendly that does not budge from my face even after a 15 hour day (including travel) and still looks natural. The main reason I am posting this is because my work colleagues have mentioned on several occasions how good my make-up looks at the end of the day and asked what I use and how I apply it so I thought it might be useful to share.

Firstly let me tell you about my skin and skin care. I have quite an oily T-zone, some redness, quite dark under eye circles (from said long hours) and the odd spot/pimple from time to time. I'm not the best with full-on skin care and generally use face wipes to take off my make-up at night with a full face wash in the morning. I use Huggies Pure baby wipes to take off my make-up as they are gentle and have no chemicals that dry out or irritate my skin, plus they are very affordable compared to the big branded face wipes that generally give me spots or dry skin. I then use a light moisturiser, either E45 or Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturiser for more spotty days. I don't tend to use spot treatments as they are a little too harsh for my skin so instead I use the Clean and Clear Moisturiser (as previously mentioned). I just pop a dot on a spotty bit and it clears it up in a couple of days.


Collection 2000 Concealer Lasting Perfection Light
In terms of make-up, this is what I use:


  • Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - £3.69 and better than a lot of high end concealers by a mile. I use this on any blemishes or areas of redness. 
http://www.superdrug.com/collection-2000/collection-2000-concealer-lasting-perfection-light/invt/592005&bklist=


    Maybelline NY Dream Touch Concealer Ivory 01
  • Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer - £6.99 and conceals my dark circles as well as brightening my under eye area. I extend my concealer just above the corners of my eyes to draw attention upwards and add as much light as possible.
http://www.superdrug.com/maybelline/maybelline-ny-dream-touch-concealer-ivory-01/invt/249970




      Revlon Colorstay 24H Foundation Combination/Oily Skin 30ml
    • Revlon Colourstay Foundation for Combination/Oily Skin - £12.49 from Superdrug, so a little bit  pricey but I discovered a brilliant website that sells it for £6.99 from Fragrance Direct - bargain! I have used Estee Lauder and Mac foundation in the past and neither is as good as this, especially for the price. It doesn't last the stated "24 hours", but how many products actually last for the stated time? And who would actually wear make-up for that long....except in very rare circumstances...or if you fall asleep with your make-up on...? ;) I digress! All in all this foundation is excellent - it has great coverage, great staying power even over long and sweaty shifts and feels nice on the skin without being too heavy and cakey. I apply it with a Real Techniques Stippling Brush, which I find works very well and extends its staying power, however using your finger tips works well also. I'm desperate to try the Expert Face Brush but haven't quite got the pennies yet.
    http://www.superdrug.com/revlon/revlon-colourstay-foundation-softflex-buff/invt/326690&bklist=
    http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/revlon/revlon-colorstay-24h-foundation-combinationoily-skin-30ml/invt/0043123&bklist=icat,4,shop,cosmetics,cosmeticsface
    http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/real-techniques/real-techniques-stippling-brush/invt/0048652
    http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/invt/0048654&cm_vc=productpage


    Rimmel Powder Stay Matte Pressed Powder TransparentRimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder - £3.99 and again better than a lot of high end powders. I do like Mac transparent setting powders but cannot afford them. I apply this to my T-zone and it mattifies my skin, preventing my skin getting oily/shiny throughout the day, plus it doesn't hurt the bank balance too much :) 

    http://www.superdrug.com/rimmel/rimmel-powder-stay-matte-pressed-powder-transparent/invt/592471&bklist=


    Bourjois Blusher Delice De Poudre Peau Mates Halee
    • Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzer - £6.99. This is very lightweight and just the right shade (it comes in light and dark but the light is far too light I think). I use it more for contouring my cheek bones and jaw a little and then just to give my skin a bit more colour. One of the greatest things about this is how long it lasts. I've had the same one for around 8 months now and have barely dented the surface, even though I use it nearly every day. This is definitely good value for money.


      MUA Blusher Cupcake
    • MUA Blusher - £1.00! I love this make-up company for blushers, eyeshadows and brushes. They really are brilliant value. This blusher is such a lovely shade and at £1.00 can you really grumble?! It has lasted around 6 months and is still going. It lasts very well and looks nice and natural. (I use shade 4).


      L'Oreal False Lash Telescopic Mascara

    • Loreal False Lash Telescopic Mascara - £10.99, Loreal Volume Million Lashes Mascara - £10.99 or Soap and Glory Thick & Fast Mascara - £10.00 - All 3 of these mascaras are equally brilliant. I'm pretty fussy with them as I have pretty crap eyelashes that don't do much really and all of these help a lot. They all last well although the Volume Million is too wet when you first open it so I let it dry out a little before I use it properly. I never buy the waterproof versions of mascara as I never seem to need them. I don't know whether it's just the type of eyes I have. Perhaps others would need waterproof formulas. It's all down to personal preference really and trying things out.

      Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter - Peach Parfait
    • Revlon Lip Butters - £7.99. I never usually wear any lip products (except lip balm) on placement but when I do I stick to these. The colours are subtle if you apply them sheerly, the application is lovely and they moisturise the lips. They are slightly pricey I think but well worth it. I once wore one for uni and it lasted 5 hours! Now that is good going for a lip product with such a balmy finish. 




    I hope this post has been of some help. If anyone would like to know more please contact me via the form below or leave a comment.

    Thanks for reading :)

    5 comments:

    1. Love this post...I *always* feel better with a little bit of make-up on, but it's just managing to fit it in in the morning!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Laura. I totally know what you mean. Quite often it's a matter of, would i prefer an extra 20 minutes in bed? Haha! Hope you're well :) xx

        Delete
    2. Hi there! I hope you don’t mind me commenting – I work for Wiley Nursing, and I love your blog! We have a new series of books for student nurses, and we’re looking for people to review them. Would you be interested? Drop me an email if so! Happy holidays to you :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you for your comment and interest in my blog Student Survival Skills. I would be very interested in reviewing a book series but cannot find your email address. Please forward your email on to me :) Hope you had a lovely Christmas and New Year.

        Delete
    3. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way.
      tutlance.com

      ReplyDelete