Tuesday 26 March 2013

My First Couple of Days as a Student Nurse!


I've just finished my second day at uni and it's all getting very exciting. We were introduced to our Guidance Tutor (GT) and group, told where our placement area will be, given lots of info about the course itself, given our PPDF file thingys (I think they're a record of the skills we build in placements but not so sure yet), measured for our uniforms, given our 'Student Nurse' badges, given lots of paperwork and timetables etc and given a tour of the university and clinical skills areas. We've generally had a lot of free time so far but I'm expecting this to change rather rapidly. I'm really chuffed with my GT and group but not so much with my placement area. It means travelling up to 70 miles each way for some hospitals which would be impossible for me. I'm in discussions with my tutors to try and change this though so hoping for the best.

Not much to report as of yet but here's a pic of some lil things I've collected :) 


Excited for the next few weeks!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Carlene!
    What kind of places are your first placements going to be? I hope I get put in a community home before a hospital, hehe. Do you start your clinical in your first year or are you in second now? Thanks for the follow. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! We had a short meeting with some 2nd year students who advised us of the nature of our first placement and honestly I won't find out the exact place until 4 weeks before starting it...which is in July! So I have to wait until June to find out where I'm going which seems torturous right now but I'm very excited to get going. I know we'll definitely have a hospital placement first. We start clinical practice immediately (learning how to apply dressings, etc. very basic things) and then observe and learn on placement. I know of some second year students who had already carried out a lot of nursing tasks in their first year. I've been told that a lot of the time it depends on how helpful your mentor is. Fingers crossed I get a good one :) How come you'd prefer to be placed in a community home first? Thank you also for the follow and the comment.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realised you had more posts! eek i cant believe you started this march really looking forward to reading your blog :). im also interested in nursing but havent started yet i feel we have alot in common I've also started collecting nursing items and i havent even started nursing school. And i love the colours you have picked awesome fob!. i have alot of items to collect and your pictures inspire me! thankyou for this blog and i will keep being excited to read your next posts!. your probly extremly busy from now on i hope you cope well!. best wishes from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for you comment and for your interest in my blog :) Apologies for the late reply...we've had a steady flow of work, so trying to keep up with that, plus my partner and I are buying a house. Not the best timing really!

    Are you currently applying to study nursing? I'm guessing you're from the States/Canada so not sure how it works there, but here it's a pretty lengthy process. If I can offer any advice, please don't hesitate and I'll do my best to reply swiftly.

    The fob is nowhere near as awesome as you think. It was £1 online and pretty poor quality so I think I'll have to invest in a better quality one.

    I have an essay due in pretty soon so I'll be sure to post about that soon and keep up to date on what is going on.

    Best of luck to you! :D

    ReplyDelete