Wednesday 15 January 2014

More Nursing Practicals - Urinary Catheterisation

So before Christmas I spent some time back at university attending some not so exciting lectures and seminars. Dotted amongst these were a couple of practical sessions, which I really enjoy as they are obviously things I can take into practice and feel I learn the most from them.

The most recent practical session was urinary catheterisation in both men and women, although they spoke more about the anatomy of women when performing a catheterisation than men, which I found a bit bizarre. Having not performed an actual catheterisation on a person yet, I'm more daunted by performing one on a man than a woman, and I don't think that's just because I'm a woman. I've seen one performed on a man and it was extremely uncomfortable to watch never mind do it myself. The memory makes me wince. We practiced a couple of times on models and it was impossible with the lubricant and stiff rubber models. I think we spent more time giggling about it mind! I really just hope that it's easier to catheterise a human than one of those ridiculous models.

Our tutors said that we should aim to perform a catheterisation on both genders during our last placement of the year, which I start on Monday btw! ARGH! My nerves are literally jangling at the thought of it all.

Here is a pretty handy dandy link that shows you how to perform a catheterisation for those interested: http://www.hpsc.ie/hpsc/A-


If you've performed one before, what helped you gain confidence with it? Any tips? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment