Wednesday 15 January 2014

Trying to have a life outside of Nursing

This is a tad random but a rant I feel might maintain the little sanity I have left. 

This course is incredibly intense. It takes over your life, changes your outlook on life itself and those around you both close and far. It uses all of your time, preventing you from bringing in money thus cancelling out most of your social life. Doing this later in life when others have their careers already and are beginning to settle down means your schedules become very difficult to match up especially when life's little complications rear their ugly heads.

People always said before I started this course that no one other than fellow/previous healthcare students would understand what it feels like and I always laughed and thought...really?! The truth is, well, that. It is difficult for other people to understand that you don't have spare time or money to go for dinner, drinks or lovely social activity like you used to. That and the fact that I was stupid enough to enter into yet more studying when I STILL have debt to pay off, which in itself is a balancing act. It's a pretty stressful ride. There are also the people who snort when you say you're a student, thinking that you get more days off than you do on...wrong. I work full time hours (37.5hrs a week) on a heavy ward, do everything I can to do well and please my mentor, stay alert for every learning opportunity, travel miiiiiiles every day, go home and do uni work or research for placement, do all of my house work, try to have a life and also find time for sleep. It's blumin difficult, and I don't have kids like many of my fellow students. I seriously don't understand how they do it. People - nursing students work very hard!



Spending time with friends and family is very important to me and although it is  something I'd never be willing to give up, trying to find a balance seems impossible! If anyone has any tips I'd be grateful...

No comments:

Post a Comment